Charities and not-for-profit organizations in Edmonton and surrounding areas are important drivers in helping some of the most vulnerable individuals in our communities. Our team works with our clients to help navigate legal issues which commonly affect charities, societies, agricultural societies, and not-for-profit organizations. At McCuaig Desrochers LLP, our lawyers combine valuable experience and common sense to best assist you with timely and practical legal advice for the entire range of services you may need as you operate your charity or not-for-profit organization.
We work with many different types of not-for-profit organizations, including charitable organizations, religious organizations, community groups, service clubs, trade organizations, charitable trusts, Foundations, and recreational clubs by sharing our pool of experience and knowledge for those engaged in joint ventures and many special interest groups.
Our team helps navigate legal issues which commonly affect charities and not-for-profit organizations. Some of these services include the following:
- Incorporating Societies, Part lX Companies and Canada Not for Profit Corporations
- Preparing and amending Bylaws
- Applying for charitable status
- Corporate governance matters
- Commercial leasing
- Applications for charitable status
- Director and officer liability, advice on public accountability and legal compliance, board duties and governance issues
- Corporate restructuring and mergers
- Legal risk management
- Insurance issues
- Fundraising and gift planning, tax-efficient gifting structures
- Policy development on areas including gift acceptance and conflict of interest
- Maintaining charitable status and proactively meeting Canada Revenue Agency requirements
- Best practices for corporate governance in light of the heightened corporate responsibility requirements
We also routinely assist our not-for-profit clients with litigation and administrative law issues, including disciplinary proceedings, tribunal matters, contractual disputes and other litigation.
We also benefit in working closely with our other teams of lawyers to assist you with any litigation, employment, real estate, business immigration, and estate planning issues your charity or not-for-profit organization may face. Please contact one of our charity or not-for-profit lawyers to get advice and information to help you and your business thrive in today’s economy.